A contemporary art gallery for leading Australian art dealer, Anna Schwartz, in the Flinders Lane gallery precinct of Melbourne.
As part of the total refurbishment of a 1924, seven-storey clothing factory, the ground and first floors were converted into a new gallery space for contemporary art.
The ground floor consists of a reception area and main gallery space with storage beyond. The first floor consists of a second gallery, offices and main art storage area.
Philosophically, Anna Schwartz wanted a gallery space that was minimal and white, providing an ‘invisible’ background to the exhibitions by her artists and not an architectural ‘event’ that imposed in any way on the artworks. The result is an elegant series of spaces with grey concrete floors and white walls and ceilings.